Timeless Destiny
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Larentius's Skills
How does an RP battle work? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 pm by Rashir

» Help!
How does an RP battle work? EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 pm by Padexin

» Research into the Sigils
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 pm by Damien

» Damien Fox, Keeper of the Ballance
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 pm by Damien

» Laurentius Pyrrhicus
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:03 pm by Damien

» Do we have to be human?
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm by Damien

» Pax's Skills (Revised)
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm by Padexin

» Acgrim's Skills
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 am by Acgrim

» Acgrim's Weapons
How does an RP battle work? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 5:27 am by Acgrim

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 17 on Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:12 pm

How does an RP battle work?

3 posters

Go down

How does an RP battle work? Empty How does an RP battle work?

Post by Crade Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm not talking about the one where each contestant has 100 health and stuff, but about the writing battles. I'm new to sites like this and any detail you could give me would be much apppreciated.
Crade
Crade
Hunter of the Night: Watcher

Back to top Go down

How does an RP battle work? Empty Re: How does an RP battle work?

Post by Damien Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Well its pretty much a writing contest, whoever rights the best response wins, now I have never done this types of fighting but Rashir can fill you in a little more than I can. The winner is determined by a moderator that is not involved in the fight, if you disagree with the verdict you can message me or Rashir, and we will review the post. Also if we are not online at the time DO NOT spam our inboxes with the same posts, we will get to it when we can.
Damien
Damien
Keeper of the Balance
Keeper of the Balance

https://timedest.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Crade Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

So you just write what you do turn after turn and a moderator finally decides when one of the fighters kills the other? It seems like some battles could go for a long time, not to mention arguments would be extremely common. Why dont you and Rashir create a thread called, oh I dont know, Example battle and show us what a battle is supposed to look like.
Crade
Crade

Back to top Go down

Post by Damien Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 am

Well though that is a good Idea, from what I have seen unless the two fighting are extremely powerful, fights can end in one to four posts, and you should know that they don't say they hit, for example: "Damien drew his sword and decapitated Crade." they would say something like: "Damien drew his sword and tried to land a death blow on Crade." Then the moderator decides who gets the hit, so if I hit you THEN I would say: "Damien's blade cut through Crade's neck, killing him instantly." Now these examples are way shorter than the posts should be and if I did this in a real battle I would be screwed, so this is just so you know what I am talking about, also one hit death blows are extremely hard to get so you need really good writing and really it is just quicker to kill him with multiple attacks. I know the death blow part is right, but I may be incorrect on something else, because once again I have never done it, but I think that after I get a little more details on this way of fighting I should be able to create a mock battle with either the NPC vs Me or Rashir vs Me. That is, unless you would be willing to do this with me. Now I am asking this because it wouldn't harm your Character, but the posts would give you the Cash. Thank you for the suggestion. Also I have a question for you: at the moment which method do you like better, rolling or writing (both have 100 health, not including the extra hp given by armour)
Damien
Damien
Keeper of the Balance
Keeper of the Balance

Back to top Go down

Post by Rashir Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:15 am

Lolz. I didn't even see this question 'til now... Shows how much I pay attention.

I will explain this to you the best I can. These kinds of battles are more fore a free way to fight and such. They aren't restricted by dice. In these, the stronger character may win and they may not. If the weaker character knows how to explain exactly what they are doing, in detail, they have a much better chance at winning. If your post consists of just, "So-and-so throws a punch at The Ugly One." (Homestarrunner reference XD), it will have little effect if any. It has no detail about where the punch is thrown, what the rest of the character's body is doing, if they are preparing to dodge or counter the other's post, etc... I'm not saying that this kind of post won't be accepted, but it gives the opponent plenty of leeway in their post on how to dodge, counter the punch, retreat, etc... The same goes for dodging. If your going to dodge, make it within your character's ability to do so. A simple "He dodged easily." will not work in the RP battles. If it's impossible to dodge, you can try to minimize damage as much as possible but, once again, within your character's abilities. You could say that these are a little bit more up to the RPers who wins.

I might be able to help you get better at writing if you need it. This also goes to any guests or new members who want help. If you're a guest, I beg you to join or at least spread us around. We NEED new members!
Rashir
Rashir
Lord of the Dead
Lord of the Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 am

I have had some experience with that. I didn't like it. I prefur dice, it feels more fair. No matter how good strategy and tactic and speed of your technique, your opponent can always find a loophole to evade the attack. Yeah, right, so much for my intelligence and swifty character, it got no meaning. Everyone are as fast. No matter how focused your character is on speed, the other roleplayer still claims to move faster. Sigh! So the battles are more decided on destructive power.
About the accuraccy, forget close combat. Lots of ways to avoid such attacks. You should go long range and have a big area of effect, then it would be difficult for the opponent to make up a good excuse for an evade. Which will be more likely to have a referee judge you as the winner.
Note also the cheap tricks of writing. One popular trick, so called Interruption, can make the other roleplayer's previous post a void. He could write a long range of moves and planned moves on his post but if you interrupt his first movement, he wouldn't be able to complete the rest of the chain of movements.

Back to top Go down

Post by Damien Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Well not exactly, it does require more skill because it is based on the writing skill of a player not pure luck of the dice. In a dice battle you could be in the perfect position attack... and roll a one. Same thing.
Damien
Damien
Keeper of the Balance
Keeper of the Balance

Back to top Go down

Post by Rashir Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 am

That's true. Besides, as long as you get in a battle with someone who's not too competitive and just wants to read the quality of the story, it'll be fair.
Rashir
Rashir
Lord of the Dead
Lord of the Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down